Fluffies are rare because it takes a whole bag full of kittens, angora bunnies, and unicorns to make a fluffy. You can get one from the Fluffy shop down the street. And no.
Mendelian genetics, think about your peas! Fluffies are the recessive coat mutation in corgis. So in order to get a fluffy you either need heterozygous non-fluff parents, a fluff with a fluff to get more fluff, or you need a fluffy and a heterozygote non-fluff.
So let’s assume that the fluffy gene is considered not desirable by breeders — aka they SELECT for NON-fluffs. A breeder would get a fluff in their litter if both of the parents were secretly carrying the gene. Fluffs are more of a cute surprise than an intentional outcome. So since it’s not a mutation that’s selected for, the allele frequency in the population actually decreases. This is another reason why they are so rare. I have yet to see a fluffy-only breeder because you can’t “show” fluffies (the fluffy gene is considered a really cute defect).
I am almost convinced that in Japan they DO breed FOR fluffs. I’ve never seen such a high frequency of fluffs in an area before, but that could be a founder effect. On the other hand, the Japanese like all things cute. So maybe it’s intentional.
As to how to get one — find a breeder with a fluff in it’s litter. They are hard to find, but when you stumble across one it’s like a little fluffy treasure.
- formerlyunspoken likes this
- girlwiththehungryeyes likes this
- sweetwithsass likes this
- king-of-the-mountain-2 likes this
- my-phantasmagoria likes this
- autumnmarietalk likes this
- clemycorgi likes this
- overcarbonated likes this
- hoargasm likes this
- cut-the-strings likes this
- taunstermonster likes this
- whatsthedaily likes this
- whatsthedaily said: talk nerdy to me
- champingatthebit likes this
- insanecorgi likes this
- insanecorgi said: Haha! I like your first explanation better!
- tymethiefslongerthoughts likes this
- corgiaddict posted this